Now that the Jaguars are good again—thank you, almighty gridiron gods—tailgating in Jacksonville is a must-do activity for the 2018 football season. But do you have what it takes to tailgate with the big boys, pros, and connoisseurs of TIAA Bank Field? If you’re not hauling a grill and cooler in a Honda, you might not make the cut, leaving you to watch the Jags from your couch, Pringle crumbs littering your lap.
Why tailgate with a Honda? Because Honda’s roster is filled with do-it-all vehicles that make tailgating a breeze. Here are the 3 best Honda models to tailgate with—that is, if you don’t want to get trash-talked out of the parking lot.
2019 Honda Ridgeline
Recognized as the ingeniously designed small truck featuring a truckload of ingenious features, the new Honda Ridgeline is the king of tailgating pickups. Carrying over the essential features from the last two models—which won the North American Truck of the Year award, mind you—the Ridgeline is as good as it gets.
Most notable is the Ridgeline’s incredible truck bed. Unlike other non-Ridgeline beds, this Honda truck gives Jacksonville tailgaters something to work with, including the following features:
- An available 150W/400W built-in outlet, allowing you to power a flat-screen TV and digital antenna. Catch all the Sunday action while you wait for the Jags to kick off.
- A Lockable 7.3-cubic-foot in-bed trunk, which acts as a drainable cooler. Just pack it with ice, cold ones, and guac — you know, the tailgating necessities.
- The segment’s first-ever truck bed audio system, built into the Ridgeline’s bed walls, that operate separately from the cabin radio. (Keep the tunes cranking with a free Honda app, too.)
- A dual-hinge gate makes it easy to load and unload grills, chairs, tables, and everything else your tailgating guests will want.
Paralleling the Jaguars’ top defense last year, the Ridgeline is also one of few trucks in its class to earn an NHTSA 5-star safety rating, as well as a Top Safety Pick from IIHS. That’s because the 2019 Ridgeline comes with Honda Sensing, a suite of safety systems that keep everyone secure on the way to tailgate. Drive with confidence thanks to safety features like collision mitigation braking, road departure mitigation, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, blind spot alerts, Honda LaneWatch, and a multi-angle rearview camera that makes hitching a trailer easy-peasy.
We won’t even talk about how unbelievably comfortable the Ridgeline is. (You’ve got tailgating stuff to pack, don’t you?)
2019 Honda Pilot
You don’t have to own a truck to tailgate in Jacksonville! Although it’s known as the “modern family SUV,” the new Honda Pilot is more than that—it’s also a very capable tailgater.
Its hands-free power liftgate gives you complete access to the Pilot’s 109 cubic feet of cargo space. Just pop the 60/40-split third and second row of seats down, and you’ll have enough room for all your tailgating gear.
Should you require an SUV with superhuman strength, the Pilot is your hero. Offering a maximum towing capacity of 5000 pounds, the new Pilot can tow more than rivals like the GMC Acadia, Ford Explorer, and Chevy Traverse.
As the family SUV we all know and love, the 2019 Pilot doesn’t disappoint. Available on certain Pilot trims is the incredible CabinTalk PA system. As you drive to the stadium, utilize the in-car PA system to announce an ETA or tell Jimmy to stop berating Sally, “or else.” CabinTalk even works with the Pilot’s built-in Rear Entertainment System, so your kids’ headphones won’t put you on mute.
If you’re new to Jaguars tailgating, you probably don’t know your way around. Thankfully, the 2019 Pilot can get you to TIAA Bank Field without much hassle. Its Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System is one of the most advanced GPS in the country, offering 3D renderings of terrain and buildings, as well as lane and road guidance. It won’t help you find the best tailgating spot, but it’ll get you to the front gate.
2019 Honda Fit
Surprised to see a hatchback on the list? Don’t be—the new Honda Fit is an astoundingly versatile tailgating car.
As its name would imply, the Fit can fit a ton of stuff in its cargo area. That’s all thanks to an innovative second-row Magic Seat, which utilizes four modes to maximize cargo room depending on your situation.
- For tailgating purposes, fold the Magic Seat down into Utility Mode, opening up 52 cubic feet of space for grills, coolers, and food.
- In Long Mode, you’ll have nearly 8 feet of room, from hatch to dash, making it simple to haul a few tailgating tables.
- If you plan on bringing along a big TV to watch the games, put the Fit into Tall Mode for four secured feet of vertical cargo space.
- Need a nap before heading home? Spread out in Refresh Mode by reclining the front passenger seat, ultimately creating a makeshift snoozing pod.
Of course, the 2019 Honda Fit is also as stylish as hatchbacks get. It’s a double-threat: chic and versatile.
Shop & Save On Honda Tailgating Models
As football season gets underway, so too do our vehicle sales and specials! With Honda lease offers and incentives on new models like the Ridgeline, Pilot, and Fit, our Honda dealerships are celebrating fall like it’s nobody’s business. If you’re ready to tailgate with the best of ‘em, be sure to visit your nearest First Coast Honda Dealers and request a quote. We have dealership locations throughout northern Florida (Jacksonville, St. Augustine, and Lake City) and southern Georgia (Brunswick and Waycross).
And go Jags!
Sources & Photos: